jump to navigation

To sell or not to sell? May 15, 2007

Posted by shelleycm in Dissolution, Legal Developments, Property Division.

In 2003, the Oregon legislature passed a bill that automatically prevents parties in a dissolution of marriage case from engaging in certain activities once the case is filed, for the petitioner, or after service of the petition on the respondent, for the respondent. Practitioners (who often sought these sorts of restraining orders on their own, before they became automatic) tend to refer to it as the “statutory restraining order.”

What exactly does the statutory restraining order prevent the parties from doing? Neither party can cancel, modify or allow insurance policies to lapse — these include heath, homeowner, renter, or auto policies — for the other party or a child of the parties. ORS 107.093(2)(a). The parties can’t change the beneficiaries to any insurance policy, either. ORS 107.093(2)(b).

Once the divorce case is underway, the parties can’t sell or encumber “any property” in which the other party has an interest unless the other party consents or the court allows the sale or encumbrance. There’s an exception to this provision, though for deals made for usual course of business or necessary life expenses. ORS 107.093(2)(c).

One of the more confusing provisions is that which prevents either side from “making extraordinary expenditures without providing written notice and an accounting” of the expenses. ORS 109.093(2)(d)(A). The question is — well, what’s an extraordinary expenditure? I recently researched this, and don’t have any good answers to it. In listening to the hearings and committee meetings at the legislature, it’s clear that the Senate and House were more interested in other provisions of the legislation — those dealing with the selling and encumbering of property, and making changes in insurance policies — than in the last bit about extraordinary expenditures. This issue hasn’t come up in the court of appeals, and so we don’t have court guidance yet, either.

Either party can request a hearing to ask the court to waive or modify certain provisions of the restraining order. ORS 107.093(3).

If you’re worried about whether the statutory restraining order is going to apply to transactions you’d like to conduct after your divorce action has been filed (if you’re the petitioner) or after you’ve been served (if you’re the respondent), make sure you talk to your attorney first.


1. J Liday - September 9, 2009

Can you encumber your property by letting your attorney put a lien on your joint property?

2. New Case Law – Affect of Violating Statuory Asset Restraining Order | THE OREGON DIVORCE BLOG - April 18, 2010

[…] The order provides for certain exceptions.  It is important to consult a lawyer when initiating a divorce proceeding or being served with divorce paperwork with regard to how the asset restraining order affects you.  Failure to consult an attorney and properly abide by the order can have harmful effects.  Also, visit the following link for a prior post by Sean Stephens on this issue:  https://oregondivorceblog.wordpress.com/2007/05/15/to-sell-or-not-to-sell/ […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: